- Reservations welcome Sunday night through Thursday night
- Sorry, no reservations available on Fri from 6pm - 9pm and Sat from noon to 9pm!
- We offer call ahead seating available 1/2 hour prior to parties of six or less.
- Take out service always available.
- Credit cards and Portsmouth A la Carte cards accepted.
Welcome to The Grill at the Gas Light. Built in 1837, this building is the former home of the city’s first utility, the Portsmouth Gas Light Co. Over the last 170 years, it has stood the test of time-including Portsmouth’s “Great Fires.” If you look closely on the eastern wall, you can still see original brick charred by the fires. Today the restaurant is appointed with rich textures of wood, brick and copper paying homage to the Gas Light Company’s role in Portsmouth's storied history. In fact, every week we burn more than a cord of aromatic wood in the brick oven kitchen to prepare our unique wood-fired bistro cuisine. We hope you’ll feel as at home at the Gas Light as we do.
Located in the heart of historic downtown Portsmouth, the Portsmouth Gas Light Restaurant opens weekdays at 11:30am, weekends at 11am.
We offer a variety of traditional pub items, such as homemade clam chowder, wood-fire grilled burgers and chicken sandwiches. Our entrees include grilled chicken pasta and lobster stuffed haddock. We offer locally brewed draft beer and a boutique style wine selection, as well as national favorites. Join us Wednesday nights for 50% off bottled wine.